Did you know that…
- Girls start doing less activity than boys as soon as they're eight or nine. By the time they're 14, only 12% of girls are active enough. And by the time they leave school, they have habits and perceptions that are hard to shift.
- 23% of women say school PE put them off activity for life.
- Over 80% of women do too little physical activity to benefit their health. But plenty of women like sport and often demand outstrips supply.
- Today only 7% of sports media coverage is devoted to women's sport and just 0.4% of commercial investment goes to women only sport. However, over 60% of sports fans say they would like to see more women's sport on the TV.
In Birmingham, the City Council and Sport Birmingham have successfully worked together to deliver real impact in local communities through the #ThisBrumGirlCan Community Grants Scheme.
Please see the document below for full details.
- This Girl Can Report (PDF, 608 Kb)
This Girl Can - Getting Involved
This Girl Can: Running is a national campaign created with Sport England and a wide range of partnership organisations. It's a celebration of women up and down the country who are running, jogging or walking their way to a more active lifestyle.
Running is for everyone. There's no bum too big and no jog too small. If you're getting out there, or are curious about giving it a try, then This Girl Can: Running will be with you every step of the way.
These Girls Can web-app
A web app has been launched which will allow women to create and share their own personalised version of the This Girl Can billboard ads. You will be able to upload your own This Girl Can style picture, choose a campaign mantra such as 'Hot and Not Bothered' and add the This Girl Can logo. You can display the final image in your Facebook and Twitter feeds.
For the mobile app, click HERE
This Girl Can - Your Stories on the website
A new section of the This Girl Can website called Your Stories has also been launched. This will invite women and girls to tell their story of getting physically active. This is a great opportunity to get your content onto the This Girl Can website and social media channels.
For more information, click HERE
We want to hear from you...
Let us know what you have planned in your area or your ideas to get more women and girls active by tweeting @SportBirmingham using the hastag #ThisBrumGirlCan
You can keep up-to-date on all the latest #ThisBrumGirlCan activities via the dedicated Facebook page.