A defensive martial art.
An Overview of Ju-Jitsu
Ju-Jitsu is a defensive martial art, which simply described is:
- A system of defensive techniques, which use an attacker's momentum against them
- Traditionally based - with spectacular traditional throws
- Locks, strikes and throws adapted for modern day contexts
- Improves situational awareness and self-defence skills
- Improved strength, fitness, co-ordination and posture
- Self-discipline and improve concentration
- Confidence and leadership skills
Clubs offer monthly or quarterly payment options, and will sometimes offer a free taster class. It is best to contact clubs directly to ask about fees.
All classes are mixed ability, with beginners and advanced students training together for at least some of the class. Progress is continuous and people learn at their own pace, so there are no classes novices must complete before beginning training. Just turn up and join in. Visit the jitsu foundation website to find a local class.
It is best to wear loose comfortable clothing that you can move around and get a bit hot and sweaty in. Tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt are ideal but as long as clothing isn't too restrictive, it doesn't really matter.
Because Ju Jitsu is a contact sport, for safety reasons you should also remove or secure any jewellery and tie your hair back if it is long.
After a few weeks you might want to buy a white training suit (gi) but this is not essential at first.
National Governing Bodies
- Contact Name
- General Information
- Contact Email
- Contact Telephone
- 03333 2020 39