A day of modern pentathlon begins with fencing, followed by a 200m swim. After that, athletes compete in a showjumping round with a horse selected at random, you never ride your own horse.
An Overview of Modern Pentathlon
Modern pentathlon is the only sport created by the founder of the modern Olympics specifically for its inclusion in the Games.
A day of modern pentathlon begins with fencing, followed by a 200m swim. After that, athletes compete in a showjumping round with a horse selected at random, you never ride your own horse. The finale is a combined run-and-shoot similar to the winter sport of biathlon, in which athletes must run a short course intertwined with a shooting station.
- Fencing is great for all-round fitness, muscle toning, building core strength, coordination and balance.
- Running helps lower blood pressure through strengthening the heart, builds stamina, burns extra calories, improves bone density and tones muscles.
- Swimming aids the healthy functioning of the heart, lungs and circulatory systems.
For those wanting to get started in England, Northern Ireland or Wales, find the appropriate home country or regional contact on the Pentathlon GB website. You do not have to take part in all disciplines to take part in modern pentathlon events. The Modern Pentathlon Association arranges events for just two disciplines, run and swim (biathlon and biathle) through to competitions involving all five disciplines.
5 sports means 5 sets of equipment.
- For Shooting normal sportswear and pistol is needed.
- For Fencing specialist protective fencing clothing is needed.
- For Equestrian you will need a riding helmet, appropriate footwear, trousers/jodhpurs.
- For Running general running gear & trainers is all that is needed.
- For Swimming you need swimming costume, hat and goggles.
- The pentathlon has changed considerably it used to consist of running, jumping, spear throwing, discus and wrestling. The modern pentathlon was introduced by Baron de Coubertin at the Stockholm Games in 1912, comprising pistol shooting, fencing, swimming, horse riding and running.
National Governing Bodies
- Contact Name
- General Information
- Contact Email
- Contact Telephone
- 01225 386808