Swimming is an excellent form of exercise as it gives a full-body workout.
An Overview of Swimming
Because the density of the human body is very similar to that of water, the body is supported by the water meaning less stress is placed on joints and bones. Therefore, swimming is frequently used as an exercise in rehabilitation after injuries and is suitable for all ages.
Whether you're thinking of learning for the first time or returning to swimming after a few years - whether you'd like to join a club and try competitive swimming or just get in the water for leisure, take the plunge and Go Swim!
A Parent's Guide to Swimming Pool Safety & Hygiene
The guide covers important topics such as:
- Basics of pool hygiene - how parents can help kids maintain good health and hygiene practices in and around the swimming pool.
- Understanding and mitigating the risks of recreational water illnesses (RWIs) and other water-borne infections.
- Important pool safety knowledge - understanding water safety signs, and helping kids recognise when it's unsafe to swim or dive.
- Other essential swimming and water safety advice and best practices for parents and their children.
Swimming can boost your mood and increase positivity & sleep quality.
Learning to swim is an important life skill and a great way to keep active. Although you might think swimming lessons are for children, thousands of adults each year are taking the plunge and learning to swim at adult only swimming classes. You can use British Swimming's handy pool finder to find your local pool.
There are a number of Pools across Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland, some of which are open to everyone, member only and Sports Club/Community Association that might take bookings in evenings and weekends for Clubs.
- Blaby hotel
- Barnsdale Hall & Country Club
- Catmose Sports Centre
- Oakham School Sports Centre
- Uppingham School Sports Centre
David Lloyd Club - Leicester Meridian and Narborough
- Enderby Leisure and Golf Centre
- Livingwell Health Club
- Marriott Leisure Club
- Winstanley Community College
- Charnwood Community College
- Hind Leys Specialist Arts College
- LA Fitness
- Loughborough Grammar School
- Loughborough Leisure Centre
- Loughborough University
- Ratcliffe College
- Soar Valley Leisure Centre
- South Charnwood Leisure Centre
- The Roundhill Academy
- Welbeck Defence Sixth Form College
- Harborough Leisure Centre
- Leicester Grammar School
- Lutterworth Sports Centre
- Ullesthorpe Court Hotel & Golf Club
Hinckley & Bosworth
- Bosworth Academy
- Hinckley Leisure Centre
- John Cleveland College Sports Centre
- Market Bosworth High School and Community College
- Romans Health & Leisure Club
- The Club and Spa at the Hinckley Island Hotel
- The Heathfield Academy
- Westfield Junior School
- Abbey Sports & Leisure Club
- Aylestone Leisure Centre
- Bannatynes Health Clu
- Braunstone Leisure Centre
- Cossington Street Sports Centre
- Evington Leisure Centre
- Leicester Fitness & Wellbeing Centre
- Leicester Leys Leisure Centre
- New Parks Leisure Centre
- Northfield House Primary School
- Spence Street Sports Centre
- Spirit Health Club
- The Danielle Brown Sports Centre
- The Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Leisure Centre
- Ragdale Hall Health Hydro and Thermal Spa
- Stapleford Lifestyle Club
- Waterfield Leisure Centre
North West Leicestershire
- Ashby School
- Breedon Priory Health Club
- Champneys Springs
- Grace Dieu Manor School
- Hasla Health Club
- Hermitage Leisure Centre
- Hood Park Leisure Centre
- Ibstock Leisure Complex
- Kegworth Hotel Leisure Club
- King Edward VII Science and Sports College
- Livingwell Health Club
- Otium Leisure Club
- Reeds Health Club & Spa
Oadby & Wigston
- Brookside Primary School
- Oadby Swimming Pool
- The Roger Bettles Sports Centre
- Team England won 28 medals in the pool in the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.