About Workplace Health
Up to 60% of our waking hours are spent at work, so developing healthy habits in the workplace can play a major part on employee health and wellbeing.
- The annual economic cost of ill health in lost productivity, lost tax and increased health and welfare is £100 billion
- 172 million working days a year in the UK are lost to absence. The cost to employees is £13 billion a year
- More than half the adult population in the UK is overweight
- 87% of employees feel they would be productive if they could take time out in their working day to exercise and eat healthily
- High staff turnover can incur huge recruitment and training costs, on top of lost revenue while new employees reach full productivity
The Benefits of Investing in Workplace Health
Businesses who invest a successful Workplace Health programme have the potential to see a return on investment of between £2 and £34 for every £1 spent. In addition to this research has shown that:
- A well designed wellbeing programme can increase job satisfaction and reduce staff turnover by 10-25% which could save a company with 200 employees circa £22k per annum
- A more physically active work environment can reduce sickness absence by up to 20 per cent. For a company with 200 employees this equates to a potential saving of circa £25k per annum
How Sport Birmingham Can Help?
- Our Workplace Challenge platform provides an online tool for you to create your personal dashboard to log and track activity
- Regular events provide opportunities to take part in fun sport and physical activity, whilst networking with other professionals from across Birmingham
- Our annual Birmingham Business Games gives your organisations the chance to be crowned 'Best in Brum' in our sports day for adults
- Our Workplace Champion Training is aimed at HR Officers, Healthy Workplace Advisers or Workplace Ambassadors or Champions. This training has been designed by the British Health Foundation at Work team and the County Sports Partnership Network with the aim of providing you with skills, confidence and resources to promote better health and increase participation in sport and physical activity in your organisation.
Looking for a more tailored service?
We regularly meet with companies to talk through how they are currently promoting health and employee well-being in the workplace and offer advice on how to incorporate sport and physical activity programmes into the wider wellbeing policies / practices of the businesses.
Sport Birmingham can also provide organisations with more direct and bespoke support with implementing healthy activities in your workplace locally via a more personalised service.
For more information, please get in touch via the contact details provided below.
- Active Wellbeing At Work Brochure (PDF, 2.1 Mb)
Find out more about our Actuve Wellbeing offer for organisations
Investment and Development Manager
- Business Development and new commercial partnerships
- Lead on Inclusion / Disability
- Lead for Workplace Health and Wellbeing
- Overseeing Insight, Marketing and Communications