About Workplace Health
Up to 60% of our waking hours are spent at work, so developing healthy habits in the workplace can play a major part on employee health and wellbeing.
- The annual economic cost of ill health in lost productivity, lost tax and increased health and welfare is £100 billion
- 172 million working days a year in the UK are lost to absence. The cost to employees is £13 billion a year
- More than half the adult population in the UK is overweight
- 87% of employees feel they would be productive if they could take time out in their working day to exercise and eat healthily
- High staff turnover can incur huge recruitment and training costs, on top of lost revenue while new employees reach full productivity
The Benefits of Investing in Workplace Wellbeing
Businesses who invest a successful Workplace Health programme have the potential to see a return on investment of between £2 and £34 for every £1 spent. In addition to this research has shown that:
- A well designed wellbeing programme can increase job satisfaction and reduce staff turnover by 10-25% which could save a company with 200 employees circa £22k per annum
- A more physically active work environment can reduce sickness absence by up to 20 per cent. For a company with 200 employees this equates to a potential saving of circa £25k per annum
How Sport Birmingham Can Help?
One of our core business objective as a charity is to support and advise various organisations, businesses and individuals on how to incorporate sport and physical activity into their daily lives.
Looking for a more tailored service?
We regularly meet with companies to talk through how they are currently promoting health and employee well-being in the workplace and offer advice on how to incorporate sport and physical activity programmes into the wider wellbeing policies / practices of the businesses.
Sport Birmingham can also provide organisations with more direct and bespoke support with implementing healthy activities in your workplace locally via a more personalised service.
For more information, please get in touch via the contact details provided below.
- Active Wellbeing At Work Brochure (PDF, 2.1 Mb)
Find out more about our Actuve Wellbeing offer for organisations
Senior Partnership Manager (Wellbeing)
- Strategic lead for Wellbeing, focusing on physical and mental wellbeing/health as a key theme
- Management of various projects with stakeholders across public, private and social sectors to meet joint priorities
- Exploring work with inactive communities and social prescribing models to benefit the most vulnerable people in society
- Testing new approaches with sector leaders to influence investment in sport, physical activity and wellbeing programmes