Guidelines of how to spend your funding
The DfE has given the following guidelines of how you can use your funding to:
- Provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- Pooling funding with other local schools to employ a specialist teacher to train existing teachers and teach PE across a cluster of schools
- Hire qualified sports coaches or specialist PE teachers to work with other teachers (they should not work alone though) or deliver extra-curricular clubs and activities
- Introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- Support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- Buying into existing local sports networks such as school sport partnerships or community sports coaching initiatives
- Run sport competitions
- Increase pupils' participation in the School Games
- Run sports activities with other schools
- Purchasing specialist equipment and teaching resources (e.g. assessment tools)
You should not use your funding to:
- Employ coaches or specialist teachers to cover planning preparation and assessment (PPA) arrangements - these should come out of your core staffing budgets
- Teach the minimum requirements of the national curriculum - including those specified for swimming (or, in the case of academies and free schools, to teach your existing PE curriculum).
Steps to Spending
Before you go through the process of allocating money from your Sport Premium budget, it is advisable to do a self review of your current sport offer within your school.
This can be done using a self created tool, using an online tool or by accessing one of our Education Mentors.
Below are links to pages that detail the various offers that are available to you and your school.
Youth, Education and Events Manager
- Lead for Children and Young People in Sport
- Implementation of the School Games Programme (level 3)
- Primary School Premium and deliverables of primary school sport
- 07730 281563