England Athletics and Mind launch Mental Health Ambassadors programme
Posted: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 12:04
England Athletics, supported by Mind the mental health charity, have launched a Mental Health Ambassador programme.
The programme aims to establish a network of volunteer ambassadors in affiliated running clubs and groups across England to support those of us who are experiencing mental health problems.
Support includes helping people to start running, get back into running, or continue running as well as to improve the mental wellbeing of their existing members.
The programme links to #RunAndTalk, an England Athletics campaign to improve mental health through running in England by:
- Getting people talking about mental health, sharing their experiences and removing stigma.
- Raising awareness of mental health problems.
- Supporting people experiencing mental health problems to be physically active through running start, return to and continue running.
We are often told that physical activity is good for our bodies and our minds, but having a mental health problem can make it difficult to get started.
Initially 128 ambassadors have been appointed from 91 different England Athletics affiliated clubs and registered groups across England. The ambassadors will be working with their clubs/groups on variety of things including:
- Creating a mental health action plan for their club/group.
- Organising specific events or open evenings.
- Creating links with local mental health services/organisations.
- Sharing information on social media about #runandtalk and other related campaigns.
- Starting conversations about mental health.
- Sharing good news stories.
- Supporting leaders, coaches and other volunteers with relevant guidance on mental health.
- Volunteering through Mind and other organisations to support people experiencing mental health problems to start running.
England Athletics is committed to improving mental wellbeing through running. Our aspiration is to one day have a mental health ambassador in every affiliated club and group in England so that those of us experiencing mental health problems can access the benefits of running in a supported way.
For more information, or to apply to become an ambassador, please view HERE.
Join the conversation on social media using #RunAndTalk.