Wheelchair basketball club connects with Paralympians from around the world!
Posted: Tue, 19 May 2020 10:50
Since the lockdown began, Andy Craddock from Birmingham Wheelchair Basketball club has been interviewing Paralympians and inspiring sports people (with a bias towards wheelchair sports!) willing to tell their stories of overcoming obstacles to achieve success! He has since broadened his focus to include other interviewees such high performance coaches and athletes from varying walks of life.
I decided to set up these live talks and interviews, because at the time I felt frustrated at being in lockdown and thought if this is how I feel, how must other people in lockdown who are isolated and vulnerable and have no support must be feeling and who could be struggling.
With a bit a time on my hands being in lockdown and working from home , I started to learn more about IT and social media platforms. I am still learning, however 33 live talks and interviews later, it's going pretty well!
Two challenges I have faced... One has been going live, which can be quite daunting and technology is never perfect, however over the years I have learnt to keep going and keep trying, and this is the best human trait to develop in my opinion - to never give up and keep trying your best. The other is that sometimes it's difficult to arrange guests, however if you don't ask you don't get, so I continue to research and look for inspirational people who would be willing to be interviewed and I guess I have been lucky to get some amazing people to interview.
From organising and doing these amazing interviews and listening to my guests I have myself been more inspired and found a more positive persona to succeed. From this it has given me a more perspective look on how I can support others and given me more confidence to build on what we do as a club and support new ideas for the future. By publishing and sharing these interviews we have been able to build on what we do and promote this to more groups and organisations which can only lead to hopefully more opportunities for our club and people in the community, and those in lockdown who need support and motivation to get through these challenging times.
In conclusion I have been very privileged to interview and listen to their live talks from so many inspirational people which hopefully has supported everyone and given that inspiration to keep going to get through these unprecedented times.
Andy's interviews are all 'on demand' and available online for those who wish to hear them. All you need to do is to join the group to listen in… New interviews are released each week! Previous guests have included:
- Victoria Rumary, GB Para Archer
- Mendy Smith, Wheelchair Basketball player
- Tabitha Fung, Wheelchair Tennis player and Model
- James Coyle King, Wheelchair Basketball player
- Anna Jackson, GB Para Wheelchair Basketball player
- George Cazares, Wheelchair Basketball player
- Jeanette Thompson, Team USA Paralympian
- Aaron Wheelz Fotheringham, Extreme wheelchair athlete
- Daniel Garcia, Para triathlete Kona 70.3 Iron-man World champion 2016
- Gemma Louise, Team England ParaCheer
- Kelda Wood, GB Paracanoe and 'Climbing Out' Charity
- Abbie Breakwell, Wheelchair Tennis player
- Shaun Gash, Wheelchair adaptive athlete
- Colette Thomson MBE, England Netball High Performance Coach
- Sally Gunnell OBE, legendary track and field athlete