2018 has been a MAD year!
Posted: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 10:38 by Emily Wade
There is just not one word we could use to describe MAD. But in a few paragraphs, this is what MAD is all about…
MAD stands for Make a Difference.
It is a Youth Engagement Programme which uses activities, such as sport, to tackle social issues.
Our programme is about putting the young people first and presenting them with an opportunity to shape their future and the direction of the project.
Watch MAD in action on our YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqojUnnITQU&t=2s
(Subscribe whilst you are there too!)
Our Main Highlights of 2018 have been:
- 400 young people accessed the Summer/Autumn programme
- The MAD team expanded from 3 to 8 this year. This includes taking on a Digital Marketing Apprentice, a new Youth Engagement Officer for Stechford, two Youth Engagement assistants and a Coach Core apprentice.
- Holiday activities in the half term weeks have been in collaboration with Fit & Fed, with over 3,500 meals provided to young people during the holiday period as part of 'Holiday Hunger'
- We collaborated with Bernardo's and the Holiday kitchen programme to give free food to our kids during the holidays at the Nechells sessions.
- There was 20 hours of outreach work in South Birmingham, resulting in a new youth club to be set-up in Bartley Green. Read more here: https://www.sportbirmingham.org/mad-blog/2018/10/summer-in-the-south
- The music sessions have been really popular with the young people, whom have been able to express themselves through the mic, creating their own beats as well as some being involved in radio adverts for the programme
- 1:1 mentoring in 2 schools and 3 hub sites with over 30 young people
- Key deliverers: COB Wheelchair Basketball, Lorrell Dance, Youth to Legend Fencing and Birmingham Playcare Network
- The 'MADFam' volunteer programme has started, with over 20 new volunteers involved
What will 2019 bring?
The plans for MAD in 2019 are endless. There will be surprises throughout the year so keep an eye out across our social media pages…
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/madbirmingham/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/MadBirmingham
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/madbirmingham/