SCHOOLS YOUTH DEVELOPMENT & ACTIVITY FUND
The YDAF is a small grants investment that supports schools to deliver sport or physical activity alongside support, training, and/or mentoring.
The purpose of the fund is to ensure young people are given opportunities to lead healthy and active lifestyles, as well as strengthen the relationships between schools and their communities.
YDA clubs will provide young people with positive, enjoyable experiences which make it easier for them to become active.
Schools can apply for up to £3,500 to deliver any activity that engages audiences in positive experiences.
Activities must take place weekly and run for a minimum of 24 weeks (breaks can be implemented if delivery is not possible throughout school holidays)
Priority Audiences / Ages:
The age ranges for this fund are 11 – 18 years.
As with all our investments, we want to maximise our impact by ensuring the projects we fund prioritise one or more of the following audiences:
- Physically or socially inactive,
- Disengaged or at risk of disengagement,
- LGBT+ Community,
- Young women and girls,
- Diverse ethnic communities,
- Experiencing barriers in accessing opportunities, due to:
- A long-term health condition,
- Lower socio-economic impacts,
- Geographical area,
- No fixed abode / no permanent status.
YDA clubs must take place outside of curriculum time. E.g. before or after school, or on weekends.
Applications must be submitted by a registered educational setting with the approval of the Head Teacher; or a relevant member of SLT.
We welcome partnerships between schools and community organisations (e.g. sports club), however the 'lead applicant' must be the educational setting.
Funding and Timescales:
The funding will be distributed in two phases.
- Phase 1 will be a 'targeted round' for schools that are situated in the following 23 wards.
- Phase 1 will be open between 1st September 2021 and 31st December 2021
- These wards have been carefully selected based on insight and have been prioritised (in part) due to their challenges with health/wellbeing over the course of the pandemic.
- Phase 2 will be an 'open round' for any schools who wish to apply.
- This round will be open between 1st January 2022 and 31st March 2022.
- Schools in the above wards, who do not apply in phase 1, may still apply in phase 2.
How to Apply?
Download the application form and guidance here.
Please submit applications to Lauren.Davies@sportbirmingham.org
We endeavour to respond to all applications within a maximum of 10 working days.
Schools Youth Development & Activity Fund Application Form (MS Word, 161 Kb)
The first round of applications are now open for schools in the following wards:
Acocks Green, Allens Cross, Alum Rock, Aston, Bartley Green, Billesley, Bordesley Green, Bordesley & Highgate, Bromford & Hodge Hill, Castle Vale, Garretts Green, Glebe Farm & Tile Cross, Gravelly Hill, Handsworth Wood, Heartlands, Holyhead, Newtown, Nechells, Perry Barr, Perry Common, Soho & Jewellery Quarter, Sparkbrook & Balsall Heath East, Stockland Green and Tyseley & Hay Mills.
Children and Young People Officer
If you have any questions or queries surrounding your Schools YDAF Application you can contact our Children and Young People Officer on the email address below.