The Nature Valley Classic Volunteer
The Nature Valley Classic is a women’s grass-court tennis tournament featuring the world’s best players. It is hosted at the Edgbaston Priory Club from Saturday 15 - Sunday 23 June 2019.
The Nature Valley Classic Volunteer
ABOUT THE NATURE VALLEY CLASSIC
The Nature Valley Classic is a WTA Premier women's grass-court tennis tournament, featuring many of the world's best players. It has been hosted at the Edgbaston Priory Club since 1982 and is comprised of a singles and doubles competition (plus qualifying).
Last year's line-up included Johanna Konta, Petra Kvitova, Naomi Osaka, Garbine Muguruza, Heather Watson, Karolina Pliskova, Elina Svitolina and Eugenie Bouchard. We are expecting another stellar player field for 2019, with announcements to be made in the coming months.
VOLUNTEER PROGRAMME OVERVIEW
The Team Classic volunteers are the friendly face of the event and play a vital role in delivering a major international tournament. They ensure everyone who attends has an experience they'll never forget by creating a wonderfully welcoming atmosphere and always being on hand to help.
As part of our fun and friendly volunteer team you'll get the chance to experience a variety of frontline roles, including court stewarding, ticket checking and meet'n'greeting. You'll also get to socialise with lots of new people and watch some world-class tennis too. Event apparel, food & refreshments and training will also be provided.
You don't need any previous tennis or event experience to get involved, but bags of enthusiasm and a passion for helping others is a must. Our 2018 team rated their experience 9.8/10, so don't miss out on the chance to be part of something special this summer!
The majority of positions available on our team are as 'all-rounder volunteers'. As an all-rounder, you will be allocated a different role or position from one shift to the next. We do this so that you enjoy a varied and exciting event experience. Likewise we will mix up who you work alongside so that you get to meet lots of other members of the team and have a really sociable time too. The roles you will perform as an all-rounder volunteer will include;
CENTRE COURT STEWARD
- Check tickets as fans enter Centre Court and direct them to their seats
- Ensure those inside Centre Court are respectful of play on court and of others around them
MATCH COURT STEWARD
- Manage the movement and volume of spectators around the match courts
- Help run the pop-up Wimbledon Museum, encouraging fans to visit and interact
- Scan tickets as fans enter the venue and manage crowds/queues where necessary
- Create an upbeat, positive atmosphere as people arrive
- Answer questions and queries about the event and venue
We are also looking to recruit a group of Team Leaders who will assist with communication and welfare at a local level; you can nominate yourself for a Team Leader position on of your application form. Given the additional responsibility attached to this role and to ensure operational continuity, we do ask Team Leaders to be available to volunteer for at least five days, so please take this into consideration if you are thinking of nominating yourself. If selected, you will receive a detailed briefing on the role as part of your training session.
- Supervise a group of 8-12 volunteers in a specific area of the venue
- Assist with communicating messages across the volunteer and event team
- Ensure volunteers in your team are going for regular breaks at the appropriate times
- Attend Team Leader meetings with the Volunteer Manager each morning
- Applicants for this role must available to volunteer for at least five event days
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US...
• High-quality event uniform
• Generous daily food allowance, plus as much tea & coffee as you need(!)
• Private volunteer rest area to relax in whilst on breaks
• Reserved volunteer seating area in Centre Court
• Complimentary tickets
• A pre-event Training Session to equip you with all the info, skills and confidence you'll need
• Links to further volunteering opportunities
• Personal statement/reference for future volunteer, job or academic applications (upon request)
We always timetable sufficient numbers to ensure you'll receive plenty of regular breaks throughout the day. Plus you'll always be partnered with at least one other volunteer, so that you're not isolated and always have someone to chat with whilst on duty.
Unfortunately we are unable to cover expenses for travel or accommodation.
1. You must be aged 18 or older at the time of the event.
2. If your application is shortlisted, you will be invited to attend a 1-hour Selection Session at the Edgbaston Priory Club on one of the following days:
• Wednesday 27 March or Thursday 28 March or Monday 8 April
You must attend a Selection Session in order to be considered for a volunteer position.
If you have already attended a Selection Session for either the Nottingham Open or Birmingham Classic since 2015, you will not need to attend another one in 2019.
3. If offered a volunteer position, you will be expected to:
i. Volunteer for a minimum of three days across the event. The daily start/finish times for shifts will vary depending on your role and when play finishes for the day. When informing us of your availability on your application form, please work on the basis that your shift times will be as follows for all days:
Start 9.30 am
Finish 7 pm
ii. Attend a Training Session on Thursday 13 June, 14.30-17.00 or Friday 14 June, 13.00-15.30.
Nature Valley Classic 2019 Volunteer Info Sheet
Applications open: Friday 1 February
Applications close: Sunday 17 March
Selection sessions: Wednesday 27 March or Thursday 28 March or Monday 8 April
Positions offered: week beginning 15 April
Training sessions Event: Thursday 13 June, 14.30-17.00 or Friday 14 June 13.00-15.00
GET IN TOUCH
Please don't hesitate to email us if you have any questions.
Please submit an online application via the link above.
Why not apply with family or friends? You will have to submit separate applications, but we will gladly arrange for you to be together at selection/training sessions, whilst on site etc. Just make a note in the 'Any other comments' box at the end of your application.
nvc19-volunteer-info-sheet.pdf (PDF, 446 Kb)
Sport Birmingham is not responsible for the accuracy of information provided by third-parties and accepts no liability relating to any information contained on the site. If any contact details have been provided, It is recommended that you contact them directly.